The scope and purpose of the public hearing was to hear from Victorian First People Elders whose experiences illustrate many of the key impacts of colonisation still felt today.
On 5 May 2022, the wurrek tyerrang heard from the Co-Chair of the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria. On 6 May 2022, the wurrek tyerrang also heard from the Victorian Minister for Aboriginal Affairs.
The issues examined at the wurrek tyerrang included:
- The importance and scope of Treaty and truth telling
- Dispossession of First Peoples from their lands and waters
- Ongoing dispossession by law and systemic injustice
- Removals of children
- Responsibility of the State and State entities for First Peoples’ dispossession
- Constitutional, structural and justice reforms