The purpose of these hearings was to listen to Victorian First Peoples’ Elders whose experiences illustrate many of the key impacts of colonisation still felt today.
In addition, on 5 May 2022, the Co-Chair of the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria, Marcus Stewart appeared at the hearing. On 6 May 2022, the Victorian Minister for Treaty and First Peoples, Gabrielle Williams MP appeared.
The issues examined at the hearings included:
- The importance and scope of Treaty and truth-telling
- Dispossession of First Peoples from their lands and waters
- Ongoing dispossession by law and systemic injustice
- Removals of children
- Responsibility of the State and State entities for First Peoples’ dispossession
- Constitutional, structural and justice reforms
MEDIA RELEASE: Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria Appear at Yoorrook Justice Commission
Orders and Witness Lists
Hearings Witness List 2-6 May 2022
Closed Hearing Order
Restricted Publication Order – Aunty Fay Carter